tuba "tuning bits"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 25, 2002 at 18:08:03:

My Yamaha YBB-621S plays a bit sharp (for me, etc.) The main tuning slide can handle it - but it's out just a bit too far for my comfort. One option appears to be to use a "tuning bit" to lengthen it at the mouthpiece end. I haven't tried this yet. One concern is that the Sousaphone tuning bits I've seen are all slightly curved and I worry about changing the playing position too much. So...questions:

1) should I simply purchase a pair of Sousaphone tuning bits and be done with it? If so, please recommend a source, and advise on what type/size would best fit the Yamaha's shank.

2) I'm currently playing on a Doug Elliott 2N130-P5 (standard size shank). Recommendations on changes? Does a custom (longer) shank make sense?

3) is it feasible to find/have made custom a straight "tuning bit" that does not have the characteristic Sousaphone curve to it? If so...where?

4) what are the pitfalls in this exercise? That is, what sort of things should I listen for when inserting extra length at the mouthpiece end? Please note that I have a completely untrained tin ear (ask the long-suffering folk siting next to me at the open reading session in Carrollton.

Follow Ups: