Re: Re: Re: Tuba Summer Camp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 04, 2003 at 10:49:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba Summer Camp posted by :) on March 03, 2003 at 23:24:11:

actually i have attended many camps
I have attended many movies, but I couldn't make one.

With all due respect, the point that was made was that you should work at a camp, not just attend one. It's different, believe me (I've worked at Scout camps, church camps, and YMCA camps). It's really like the difference between being a parent and being a child. Running a camp is hard work, and often involves considerable financial risks to the principal.

Have you considered:
- insurance
- nursing/first aid/someone to administer medications
- security
- food service (including special needs)
- entertainment/non-musical activities (including transportation)
- funding/underwriting

There are, I believe, some colleges that make their facilities available for camps, and may be able to offer a package deal that includes the insurance, food service, health center and security -- along with good advice on making the camp go smoothly.

Be very careful with this, though. You do not want to become personally liable for damage to any facility or harm to any camper. Kids do the stupidest stuff when you get them away from their parents, and they often get hurt in the process. If you are a trust-funder you could wind up broke, and if you aren't you could wind up in bankruptcy court.

All of that said, I admire your desire to provide a great musical experience. If you can find a way to get it done, my hat is off to you. But I REALLY agree that SOMEONE involved in planning this camp should have experience working at a similar camp.

Joe Baker, whose first step would be to retain an attorney.

Follow Ups: