Re: when should one get serious

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on March 11, 2003 at 01:36:11:

In Reply to: when should one get serious posted by joe on March 10, 2003 at 22:28:07:

Although it may never be to early to start taking lessons, taking lessons too seriously could be detrimental to a young player's development. I can't help but notice the many kids who hate piano lessons because they spent so much time practicing scales and so little time making music. Fundumentals are important, but not at the expense of killing the joy of music making.

Just as the case with any subject area, there are good teachers and not-so-good teachers. It is often difficult to know the difference. I would say that for a young tubist, a good teacher would be one that creates an environment in which the student wants to practice. Also, that teacher would understand balance between the students music commitment and his/her other obligations. Regular quality practice time is essential to musical growth, but that doesn't always mean 3-4 hours a day...especially for a young person.

It is never too early to start lessons if you want them. You need to decide for yourself how seriously you want to take it. What I think is most important is that playing and practicing not become a chore (as opposed to a labor of love).

Follow Ups: