Re: Getting back on the horse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark E. Chachich on March 11, 2003 at 17:18:52:

In Reply to: Getting back on the horse posted by Daryl on March 11, 2003 at 13:24:03:

Daryl,
I think you are correct that your big, shiny Wilson EE flat is calling you! I put down my tuba and did not play for a couple of years while I was in the early to middle stages of my Ph.D. When I was offered my old summer paid playing job again, I studied with the tuba professor at the University of South Carolina (Dr. Ron Davis, excellent teacher), played in one of the school bands for a semister and practiced much Arban after hours in my lab. It did not take too long before I started to shape up and I was back in shape for the summer.
I have only words of encouragement for anyone who wants to play for there own enjoyment. Some of the happiest musicians I have known have been good part-timers (myself included). Also, I know many people that are very sorry that they gave up playing an instrument years ago and never restarted. I think that your goals are reasonable and that you have the training and the quality tuba to do this. You may find that community bands (or orchestras), church groups, quintets and German bands are good ways to restart your playing. Do not get frustrated; practice, find your level, make music and enjoy.

best of luck and enjoy!
Dr. Mark E. Chachich

Follow Ups: