Getting back on the horse

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daryl on March 11, 2003 at 13:24:03:

Hi Gang,

I'm feeling called back to my big, shiny Willson EEb......

I got my MM in Tuba Performance about 3 years ago and promptly quit playing, mainly out of frustration in my own level of ability. I've still hung on to a horn since then because I've never felt quite like business was finished with it. I am now teaching elementary school, have developed a fairly successful songwriting career, and I have a growing family (wife, 3 yr. old, and a 3 week old).

Anyway, I want to play again, long story short. I mainly would like to play for my own enjoyment, but I think I would enjoy playing at a high enough level that I could score some paying gigs. Do any of you late bloomers (I'm particularly interest in what Sean has to say, probably being the highest achieving story of all late-bloomer stories) have any advice? What difficulties did you run into? What had changed that you didn't expect to change? Any words of encouragement? DISCOURAGEMENT (probably anyone I went to MSU with - "No, Daryl, don't do it....haven't you butchered ENOUGH?")? Thanks in advance!

Daryl Bean
Howell, MI

Follow Ups: