Re: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 13, 2003 at 00:19:19:

In Reply to: Re: Shall tubas have their own scale systems posted by AW on March 12, 2003 at 09:45:01:

How can I not argue the point, when you have so overstated my position?

I never said a person should do only this or only that. I say that there are reasons to consider this approach or that, and I list those reasons. Anybody with a brain can evaluate those reasons to see if they apply to them, and proceed with confidence. If those reasons do not apply to them, they can keep their own counsel, again with confidence.

I have said that it doesn't make sense to encourage a returning community-band amateur to make decisions along the lines that a performance major in college might. For every one post I put up, there are many, many other posters of the college performance major inclination who make categorical statements with little support. Without qualifying their statements, however, they mislead the returning community-band amateur who is asking questions that suggest he is in need of basic, not advanced, knowledge.

I'm not worried about Klaus (or you) because he justifies what he says in ways that will keep one seeking basic information from being confused, assuming he can get through the post. As we both agreed in our previous tet-a-tet, both sides were presented with good supporting arguments, and the reader can choose.

But I think you are judging my prolific contributions on this topic by the limited example of the last few weeks, where this subject has come up somewhat more often than usual. I'd much rather talk about the composition of brass, the acoustics of linen draperies, and other topics of earth-shattering significance.

When you counter my argument as you do, you expose a latent opinion that BBb tubas are only fit for rank beginners who are also tone-deaf (yes, you admit that your paraphrase is undiplomatic, but you don't admit, as you should, that it is also inaccurate). I, on the other hand, have said that CC tubas are fit for those who have the skill to make them work in a situation where everyone around them is working with a different harmonic series. It is just possible that a section full of BBb tubas can play all notes in tune, by following similar tuning strategies.

Rick "who thinks BBb tubas are musical instruments, also" Denney

Follow Ups: