Re: Altieri gig bags

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 17, 2003 at 19:23:43:

In Reply to: Altieri gig bags posted by FSUTubaPlayer on March 16, 2003 at 18:01:37:

I have also used both Altieri and Reunion Blues bags, and like Mr. Dwyer I prefer the RB bags. The Altieri material is thinner, with foam that is less dense. I added a strip of closed-cell foam to the bottom edge of an Altieri bag in which I carried a rotary tuba back in the 80's. My extra protection included two layers of 1/2" foam sewn to the bag under Cordura.

The RB bag has denser foam and the Cordura shell is more capable of deflecting pointed intrusions.

But my main reason for switching to the RB bags is that I cannot stand top-loading bags. I have found no secure way to get the horn into and out of the bag without having to grab the bell at some point in the process. Also, I have to lift the horn dangerously high with only one arm while holding the top of the bag with the other arm. Others don't have this problem, but I do.

I have never had a problem with or noticed any defect in the construction of an Altieri bag, and if I wanted a top-loader, that's the brand I'd buy (I've owned two, and also two RB's).

Were I to want another RB bag, I'd buy it from Greg Cronkhite, who seems to be the current keeper of the RB flame.

I should add that the material and padding is a minor issue. For me, the only utility provided by a gig bag is a convenient set of handles. I don't look to them for protection.

Rick "who has a sore back" Denney

Follow Ups: