Re: a pause for thought (my two bits)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on March 18, 2003 at 11:27:28:

In Reply to: a pause for thought (my two bits) posted by Micky Wrobleski on March 18, 2003 at 06:04:06:

Micky-
Interesting post. I think I detect a note of sadness that seems to comes from 1. The general populace should like classical music for whatever reason, but don’t really, 2. While we have a passion for this music, and there are a few others that share that passion, there just doesn’t seem to be enough interest to come up with the money to keep all of the very best orchestras in business. 3. There is no solid plan on how to stop this distressing trend.
This has lead me to think about a few things: 1. When the great orchestras first arose in major cities, they offered something that people may not get in their everyday lives: complex, well constructed, well executed music that stimulated something in their souls. Today, we are bombarded by stimulation. Our ears are bludgeoned, nearly continuously, by instrumental music. Some of that music is well written and creative, and some of it is less so, but nearly all of it is fairly well executed. The variety and breadth of that music is unprecedented, especially in the States. If anything, we are over stimulated, and the stimulation provided by classical music, while sophisticated and outstanding in it’s own right, can reasonably be viewed as tame. 2. Other forms of popular music/entertainment fairly consume the senses. They are easily enjoyed without years of education and some measure of maturity. Maybe the same cannot be said for classical music. 3. The great orchestras, for centuries, have survived because of a few, well-heeled patrons. Now is no different, except that those patrons are running out of cash. 4. I think that the larger modern orchestras have driven away many potential devotees by programming significant amounts of music that is so esoteric that it is not easily appreciated by any except the most flexible followers.
Where am I going with this? A couple of conclusions: 1. If we want orchestral music to survive as a living art form, the business of orchestral music has to come out of the 17th century. I mean that it has to find a way to survive and prosper, without depending upon large donations. If it doesn’t do this, it will go the way of so many other industries that have just died. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but I believe it is true. 2. We must challenge composers and music directors to write and program music that larger audiences want to hear. This does not mean do all “Pops” concerts. It means writing music that can develop a popular following and face down Rock & Roll. If we aren’t up to that, then we deserve to be buried under a pile of Rolling Stones. 3. I know that most of the larger orchestras do some touring, but they just don’t measure up to the touring that top popular groups do to stay alive. Maybe it would be good for some orchestras to give up their nice, acoustically perfect homes and go play where the people are! Touring is how many, many professional groups develop followings, and so prosper. Putting large numbers of paying customers into seats is how they maintain the commercial infrastructure that empowers creativity.
I suspect that there will be some disagreement with my observations and conclusions, but those other view points are always welcome.
Rex

Follow Ups: