Re: Tuba Tyrant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 24, 2003 at 16:13:46:

In Reply to: Tuba Tyrant posted by Keith C. on March 22, 2003 at 10:46:09:

After reading all of these stories about personality and ego problems, not to mention seeming problems brought about by people of differing playing abilities rubbing shoulders, I juat have to add a differing comment. I'm in a community band now that has four tuba players in the section. We are all different, both in our abilities and our dedication. Also, we all get along. We have no trouble deciding who should lead, who plays which parts in divisi sections, and how to share the "one player only" bits. The reason is that we all are decent and mature people, and expect the best (in a personal sense) from each other. I know I'm lucky to be in a jerk-free environment, but I want you to know that this is possible.

I have been in a number of volunteer organizations, both musical and non-musical and have found the sort of abrasive person described now and then. When I have been interested in the goals of the organization enough, I have taken it as a personal challenge to get along with that person, and to persuade him or her to do a better job toward furthering the goals of the organization. No, I haven't always succeeded, but when I do succeed it makes for a terrific feeling of accomplishment!

Finally, I'm glad to play with people of differing abilities. From those who are plainly better than I am, I can learn from their examples. From those who don't play as well, I can learn how to compensate and how I can set a good example. I go into every musical situation expecting to have a good time -- I just don't know in advance what kind of good time I will have.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: