Re: Re: Bb or CC for college

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 27, 2003 at 00:40:28:

In Reply to: Re: Bb or CC for college posted by Jim on March 26, 2003 at 17:31:50:

Your sample isn't typical. The price paid for your Yamaha was far out of proportion to good sense, sounding to me like MSRP (see thread below on that topic). A new 641 really should sell for well under $4000, and if they don't they are dramatically overpriced. Had you spent that $4000 on a Miraphone 186 BBb instead of the 641 (which, after all, does not have a consistently glowing reputation despite the few good examples), you'd have been able to sell it for at least $3000+, if you had kept it in pristine condition. And your 186CC, great horn though it is, is one of the lowest-priced CC tubas on the market with a consistently good reputation. Most are well into the $6000's and up.

For example, had you bought a Miraphone 186 BBb in high school for the going rate (and not for MSRP), you'd have lost at most $1000 on the resale. And you could then have bought a Kalison Pro 2000 for $7000 and only been able to sell it now for $3500. The Kalison has a similar reputation to the Yamaha 641--some good ones but a rep for being inconsistent and troublesome. Had that been your choice, you'd be here saying that BBb's offer much higher resale value.

Extrapolation from a limited sample is a dangerous thing.

Based on the 641 that I tried a few years ago, I'd have to agree that every decent CC I've ever played was easier to manage. But that doesn't mean there aren't easy-to-play BBb's out there, too.

Rick "who should have but couldn't let this pass" Denney

Follow Ups: