Re: Re: Cerveny vs Allora?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 02, 2004 at 17:11:19:

In Reply to: Re: Cerveny vs Allora? posted by Jacob on March 01, 2004 at 21:10:51:

On the subject of denting easily, I owned a Cerveny-made Sanders from 1985 until about 1990. It a demo horn when I bought it, with one tiny dent in the bottom bow. When I sold it, it had a collection of dents and a flattened bell edge. Poor care? Perhaps. But the Miraphone I replaced it with, after it had been de-dented, is still dent-free 12 years later. My Yamaha, bought new, how has two small dents in it, and I used that instrument for outdoor gigs. So, the Cerveny was much different than my other instruments in dent resistance. I remember knocking with a knuckle on the bell stack once to get a someone's attention, and being shocked to discover that I'd left two visible impressions.

As to consistency, it matters most in terms of mechanical reliability. I repaced the lingages on mine early on to correct a problem with the fourth-valve linkage locking up from time to time. I've only owned one.

I thought it sounded pretty good, and was quite reasonable to play. I liked the Miraphone better. I also liked one of those early VMI stencils (a Vespro) better. The Miraphone was more responsive and agile, and the Vespro had a cleaner tone.

Of course, with me at the mouthpiece, all three sounded pretty bad.

Rick "who also had to repair a monstrous solder leak in the second valve branch" Denney

Follow Ups: