Re: Re: Re: What horn was it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on March 04, 2004 at 13:42:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What horn was it posted by Thomas Dodd on March 04, 2004 at 13:29:51:

From what I remember, the Conn and the Olds are very similar in size with the exception of the Conn, which would have a larger bell due to more of a "pancake" flare.

I don't proclaim to be an expert, but I'm guessing it was the 10-J, I think that is the only "convertable" they made.

From the 10-J's ive seen, they aren't all that bad. The Olds' seem to be better playing horns. The Conn 12-J (3 valve version of the 5-J) is better than the 10-J, and one par with the Olds. Art H is right about the 2-3 combo being "off" but 1-2-3 is pretty good one these, and 1-3 can be a little flat. If I were to own one, I think I would cut both first and third valve and make the first valve slide very accessable and movable to move for intonation. The C and B natural in the staff on these horns tends to be fairly flat also.

They will "bark" in the low register, but they are capable of a very good characteristic sound. For a 3/4 BBb i think that the Olds in the 3 or 4 valve set up or the Conn 5-J or 12-J are about as good as you can get and still have a useful horn in a decent sized ensemble. Plus they are both built like tanks and parts can usually be found and made for them fairly easily.

Follow Ups: