Sotto Voce/Mike Forbes/York Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eugene Whitmore on March 07, 2004 at 02:40:30:

Hi all,

I had the chance to hear Sotto Voce this afternoon in Fayetteville, AR at the U of A. Wow! Their program started with "Fanfare for an Uncommon Woman" on 3 Euphs and a Baritone, which was incredible! The entire performance was excellent.

However, from Mike Forbes' entrance in the second piece on the 6/4 York, until he put it down for the last time, I was mesmerized. What a sound! Big and fat, light with presence, soft, loud...everything. The man is a joy to listen to. OK, I know a preposition is not a good word to end a sentence with... :) Anyway, I bought both CD's and listened to them this evening. Both are highly recommended.

I was able to talk with Mr. Forbes after the performance, and asked him about the York. He gave me the details, Rusk cut, MW valve section, etc., but being a relative Newbie to this board, I had not read the post about the BAT comparison. I searched the archives when I got home and found the post. I've linked to it below, in case you haven't read it.

So, assuming that Mike Forbes can make any good tuba sound great, why is this modified York so special? BBb vs. CC doesn't seem to matter, since this was once a BBb. Old vs. new, either. This York is pre 1926. Is it Rusk, or did this horn have this sound as a BBb? There is a picture of Rick Denney playing this horn on his website, and he says it's the one CC he's played that would make him want to learn new fingerings.

For what it's worth.

Eugene

Follow Ups: