Re: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff on March 07, 2004 at 17:04:06:

In Reply to: Tuba for a Bass Trombonist posted by David on March 07, 2004 at 09:59:53:

I'd suggest a Besson Eb - one of the ones with the 3 + 1 valve configuration (I don't know the model number).

I think a good tip for beginning students applies to beginning doublers as well - get something that makes it easy to make a fairly consistent, decent tuba sound. That way, you don't have to worry about tone production (hard) while you're thinking about new fingerings (easy).

When I began doubling on bass trombone, I played a Holton. I found it difficult to play with a consistent sound. I bought an Edwards and used it with great success for 4 or 5 years. Now, I've gone back to the Holton, as the Edwards has allowed me to develop my concept of trombone sound and production to the point where I can take advantage of the Holton sound I was after in the first place.

When I was in college in NYC, Dave Taylor was looking for a tuba to start doubling. He debated about it (as everything else) for a long time, and ended up with a Besson Eb.

Jeff Miller

Follow Ups: