Re: Characteristic Sounds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett on March 08, 2004 at 00:48:56:

In Reply to: Characteristic Sounds posted by Observer on March 07, 2004 at 08:45:08:

U.S. Orchestral: Warren Deck/ Chester Schmitz - as others have said. I have not really heard the newest generation: Baer/ Kniffen/ Olka/ Hall / etc., but I guess they are excellent. I have not heard ANY player get the depth of sound that Warren gets. It is the deepest, cleanest orchestral sound that has a certain ring and resonance that I have not heard from any other player - that is what makes his sound so unique to me.

Chester has one of the warmest orchestral sounds I have ever heard. My first "orchestral" recording was with the Boston Pops / Williams. It is the Spielberg/ Williams collaboration c.d. on sony music. When I first listened to it, I was amazed because I had never heard a tuba sound so beautiful and musical before, and what a sound - WOW. His sound was the first that totaly impressed and inspired me to do better on the tuba.

I have heard some of the newer tuba players, and while they are great and everything, that truly great and unique sound isn't there - just really good technically, pretty good musically, and pretty good sound, but nothing special. I don't hear as much sweetness in many players sounds today either.

Follow Ups: