Re: Re: Re: Re: Treble Clef Fingering Charts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on March 08, 2004 at 22:03:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Treble Clef Fingering Charts posted by Steve Inman on March 08, 2004 at 19:46:58:

When playing treble clef written FOR BBb (transposed so the key of Bb is written in C), you pretend you've got the Eb tuba in your hands, and see the first paragraph above, except that you add only two flats mentally to the key signature.

Steve, are you sure about the 2 flats thing? Maybe to get to concert pitch, but when it comes to fingerings, it's still "Add 3 flats and pretend you're playing Eb tuba". It's got to work this way, or else you're using two different fingering systems--and that's not the way brass band works.

IOW, if I'm reading an Eb part written in one sharp (concert Bb), I add three flats and use normal Eb fingerings. Now, if I switch to BBb tuba and the Bb bass part, I'm looking at a part written in no sharps/flats, but I still play the part as if I were looking at a BC part written in 3 flats on an Eb tuba. The gotcha is that it's harder to recognize concert ptiches. Treble clef D is now C, but played as if it were F on an Eb. Makes your head ache a little bit...

Now, if I'm reading a Bb bass part and playing it on Eb tuba, TC C is concert Bb, and so is played with 4, TC D is C and is played with 12, TC E is concert D, and is played with 2--kind of like reading concert-pitch TC and playing it on an F tuba. Makes my head hurt even more...

Follow Ups: