Re: Meinl-Weston Flight cases.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on March 10, 2004 at 21:05:11:

In Reply to: Meinl-Weston Flight cases. posted by Arnold S. Gottlieb on March 10, 2004 at 20:26:09:

I like to look at it like this:

If your tuba NEVER leaves the house, then a gig bag is fine.
If your tuba leaves occasionally in an armored car, then a regular hard case is fine.
If your tuba leaves the house regularly in something smaller than a Hummer, you need a Johnson case.
If your tuba EVER makes it onto an airplane, you need the MW case and very good insurance.

Seriously, I have owned and flown with all kinds of cases. I can say that no horn was ever damaged in a Johnson case, but the case itself took a real beating. They (the Johnsons) always repaired it for free and once even paid somebody else to repair it (including installing a whole new piano hinge). You won't beat their customer service anywhere.

The MW case is less of a case and more of a trunk - like professional instruments/audio/camera equipment is shipped in. I think it could fall out of the plane itself and nothing would happen to your horn. The problem is that you will NEVER get through without overweight/size charges and it is the most inconvenient gig bag ever made! It does have wheels, but it is extremely heavy and cumbersome.

So bottom line is that it depends on your individual needs..protection vs.portability. For everyday use - toting to gigs and so forth, get the Johnson case. If you plan on flying regularly, go for the MW (but bring your wallet).

Bryan

Follow Ups: