Re: Festive Overture

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on March 11, 2004 at 15:02:40:

In Reply to: Festive Overture posted by John Jones on March 11, 2004 at 14:14:56:

Did Hunsberger expect it would be played at the tempos in use today?

If I have my dates correct, the first to play his transcriptions (under his baton) was the Eastman Wind Ensemble...typically one baritone, and few technical limitations regardless of the routing and size of the plumbing.

quaintly scored for "baritone."

Today, we have "grounds superintendents" (yard men), "associates" (lackies), "executive assistants" (secretaries), "sanitation engineers" (garbage men) and the like.

Everyone in the post-modern world aspires to an impressive title. No more "basses"...(sounds too "band-y")...gotta be "tubas" ("orchestra/wind ensemble-y").

Though most on this list have grown quite weary of my reminders, those Conn bell-front baritones with an extra little bell on the side are called "euphoniums" 100% of the time, as are Mirafone rotary-valve "oval style" instruments that - for all intents and purposes - are virtually identical in bore and taper (and nearly in shape) to Conn bell-front "baritones". Further, an instrument that you would refer to as a "euphonium" is fancified yet another level to "tenor tuba" when played with string players and without vibrato.

The whole "euphonium" name thing was pushed when T.U.B.A. was set up by some college teachers who wanted their job titles to appear more dignified. Further, "euphonium" still does not communicate to the vast majority. If you tell a somewhat-educated (high school graduate, let's say) grocery sacker that you play the trumpet, cello, baritone, or even the bassoon, he knows what you're talking about. On the other hand, inform him that you're a euphoniumist, and check out the polite/blank expression on his face.

Follow Ups: