Re: Music major doubts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on May 03, 1999 at 01:08:55:

In Reply to: Music major doubts posted by Tito on May 02, 1999 at 21:35:26:

What do you find that you LOVE to do? I know lots of engineers who are absolutely enraptured with their chosen profession and they're a joy to be around--some are pretty formidable musicians, too. It's been over 30 years since I started college majoring in something that other people thought I ought to be doing. I discovered the wonder of computers one day in class by peering over the shoulder of a fellow student, earned the ire of everyone when I changed schools and flushed a scholarship and a year's study down the sewer to pursue what I thought was the most interesting thing since girls. I haven't looked back since and have had a thoroughly rewarding career. And my parents came around.

See, it isn't about music, but about passion.

If you're not passionate about engineering, or accounting, music or whatever, you're making a big mistake because this is probably what you're going to be doing for a sizeable chunk of your life. Where there is joy, there may be effort, but never drudgery.

If you're passionate about music and love it and want to make it your career, by all means do! But if it's something you just happen to do well without real passion, better look for something else.

I hope this makes sense.

Follow Ups: