Re: Re: Re: bag or case?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on May 23, 1999 at 20:28:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: bag or case? posted by GaryS on May 23, 1999 at 10:14:01:

I sell some wheels that are made to fit on the regular black wooden cases that you are accustomed to seeing. They are not particularly cheap, nor particularly expensive. They are, however, very heavy duty. You could weld up a version of these for less money, if you or a friend have a welding outfit. It just depends on how much your time is worth to you. I welded up a set for my case, but this was before I knew that I could buy a set. If, at the time, I hadn't been ignorant about simply being able to buy them already to install, I would have chosen that option.

Along with the set of wheels, you should also buy a second handle for your case to elevate it on the opposite end from the wheels. Don't err on the side of "economy" or "standard duty" for this handle. The strongest handle that I have found actually has hinges, and resembles the handles on the "ultra duty" KING (brass instruments- Ohio) cases from the 1950's and 1960's. On this particular handle you will, because it actually bolts into the case, have to do a bit of grinding on the heavy round handle "feet" that articulate the case, due to the fact that this #2 handle will be mounted on a curved part of the case.

Another quick topic here is re-strengthening the pressed board "bell wings" on these wooden cases that have become "mushy" from having taken beatings: What I did on mine was to painstakingly peel away the plush lining, heavily coat the inside of the bell wings with automotive body "Bondo", and replace the linings and their padding. After that, I took a bit more care when loading, unloading, and letting the lid on the case drop to the floor when opening it.

Follow Ups: