Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on May 31, 2000 at 11:07:59:

In Reply to: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6 posted by Gaz on May 30, 2000 at 20:31:03:

Admitedly, I don't play in a 'great' orchestra but I've never considered my PT-6 to lack projection. Perhaps this is the stubborn streak in me(that insists I can do anything even when I clearly can't) speaking. There have been points where I felt like I wasn't making any noise relative to the orchestra. At these points I've always just backed off, went to the basics, and focused on making a big solid sound moving lots of air. In every case I've been informed that out in the hall where it counts I balanced just fine. I feel that the sound it produces very readily blends with the strings, extends the french horns and trombones or can stand on its own. These are qualities that can come in very handy when playing with an orchestra. The PT-6 is also sensitive enough to let me use it in a small group in a pinch.

It has been two years since I've looked at a Willson so my memories and experiences are very likely a little suspect. But I remember the horn I played as having *way* too much projection and being extremely unresponsive. This succesfully relegated the horn into the 'loud only' category in my mind. I need a horn that is more versatile than that. On a more positive note I remember the Willson to have been *extremely* well built and very pretty to look at.

Just my two cents,
joseph

Follow Ups: