Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2000 at 09:52:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 vs. B&S PT6 posted by Dale on June 03, 2000 at 02:02:18:

I always bring two horns to a rehearsal where I don't know what music will be played, but one is a bass tuba and the other is a contrabass tuba. I'm usually the only F-tuba player in a band, so all the parts really written for F or Eb usually end up on my stand.

I used to have my current Miraphone and a smaller BBb. I sold the smaller horn, because I found myself never taking it to gigs after the Miraphone was overhauled.

A related question is, "How many orchestral players have more than one CC?" I'm not talking about that other hobby prevalent around here (tuba collecting), I'm talking about playing. The pros that I've known have only owned one CC, though they might have a collection of other horns. For example, when one got a York-brunner, he sold his Alexander. When there was a contrabass part where the York-brunner seemed too large, he would play "smaller." I saw him do it beautifully in a quintet performance. Jay Bertolet got a Nirschl, and now he's selling his Cerveny (though he may have other CC's that I don't know about). Some players play in a variety of situations, and can use different horns, but it seems to me that these can be predicted beforehand.

Rick "Jacobs did it with mouthpieces" Denney

Follow Ups: