Re: On wanting to quit the tuba...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry on May 03, 2001 at 07:24:54:

In Reply to: On wanting to quit the tuba... posted by Benjamin Schardt on May 02, 2001 at 22:50:50:

Benjamin,
I had one lesson with my teacher while working on the Hindemith that was extremely painful for both me and my teacher. We were working on getting the subdivision of the eight notes in the first movement. Let me say that I played horribly and I am surprised that my teacher didn't kick me out of his house. I felt terrible after that lesson, like I did not want to play. On the car ride home I listened to some great tuba playing, I don't remember which CD. That helped me a lot.
I took the rest of the day off and the day after that. I didn't even look at my horns. When I came back to the tuba I played some stuff that I already knew and I started to feel better. By the time of my next lesson I still couldn't play the subdivision perfectly but it was noticeably better.
That was just one time that I was extremely frustrated from playing. I am pretty sure that there will be more but I will always look to playing a pedal CC on my tuba and feeling my lungs vibrate. Man that is a cool feeling.
Keep up the hard work, it is worth it.
Henry Gertcher

Follow Ups: