Re: Warren,Willson or B&S Parantucci-help me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David M. on May 03, 2001 at 17:16:25:

In Reply to: Warren,Willson or B&S Parantucci-help me posted by Carlos Díaz on May 03, 2001 at 16:14:31:

Hi Carlos,

Just 2 days ago I took a trip to DEG music in Wisconsin to play the 3050. I spent 2 hours playing 2 3050s. I found both horns to play just about equal. I LOVE this horn, and I’m gonna buy one very soon. What really got me hooked was the very quick response(especially for a big horn), and the powerful low range. Also the horn feels very comfortable. The leadpipe is just the right height and the valves couldn’t be in a better spot. It felt that the tuba was made custom just for me :) You can really belt out notes on this horn without it distorting, thick metal. I found it to be very free blowing and the intonation was pretty good too. The ONLY draw back about the horn is in my opinion the slightly bright sound. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound it just isn’t as dark and warm as other tubas I’ve played...at least for me. Also it might have been me. I plan to get a larger mouthpiece, and work on getting a good sound. I have heard some really good sounds out of a willson by a much better player than I. I can't give you advise on the other horns except the weston 2165, for the few minuets I played it, I didn’t like it. As far as PTs go, I have played a PT-4 and liked it. The only other thing I can say is go out and play one.

-David M.

Follow Ups: