Re: On wanting to quit the tuba...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 07, 2001 at 08:19:34:

In Reply to: On wanting to quit the tuba... posted by Benjamin Schardt on May 02, 2001 at 22:50:50:

Shortly after finishing my Masters I stopped playing for almost 3 years due to frustration and a little bit of burnout. One day, I went to an Octubafest concert at IU and got motivated again. Realizing that I had a financially successful career in the computing industry gave me the freedom to now play more as a serious hobbiest than as a student desperatelly trying to beat the graduation clock. I played whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and at my own pace. I played on a recital 1 year later and did ok. Instead of being "forced" to work up a recital in 1 semester, I "gave" myself 1 entire year to learn a challenging solo and perform it before my peers. It is much more fun doing it for myself instead of out of necessity.

Now, I am in a similiar situation where I can practice pretty much whatever I want and set my own goals. I keeps me entertained. I don't get as down on myself when I might have periods where the chops are not as sharp as others. I also have more fun when focussing for something big coming up.

What helps me alot is not procrastinating preparing for an upcoming performance. I have some recitals I want to do this fall and I have been slowly working towards them for a couple of months now. I will slowly start to ramp up the efforts as the time draws closer. This makes practicing easier and spreads the pressure so thin that I barely notice it. As long as my target is met to be totally prepared by 1 month before performance time, then I will be able to enjoy the experience instead of dreading it and being intimidated by it. That last month is spent enjoying hearing myself perform the music everyday in my living room instead of working out tricky sections.

sean

Follow Ups: