Re: MW 2145 and Mirafone 186

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark McMahon on May 14, 2001 at 14:05:31:

In Reply to: MW 2145 and Mirafone 186 posted by Randy Mac Iver on May 14, 2001 at 13:18:25:

I own a 2145 and love it, so my response may be a bit biased. I a 5"8". I have had similar top-heavy concerns with other horns, but my 2145 fits me perfectly. The lead pipe is just the right height, etc. Yet I will say that it does have a tendency of leaning to the left if you are accustomed to holding the tuba at an angle. I actually changed the way I was used to holding the horn for that very reason. It was nothing drastic for me, though. I considered it just part of getting used to playing a new model tuba. Regarding volume, I am curious about your comment. I can blow everything I've got into my horn and there are no problems. It makes me wonder if there were any solder blobs or other production line imperfections that may be obstructing the inside of the horn you tried. It's just a thought.... I'm not trying to question your intelligence, but is your concern with the valves truly the valve caps or is it the angle of the thumb ring that is causing you to slip off of the valves. It is no secret that the factory setting of the thumb ring on the 2145 is absolutely wrong! Sam Pilafian must have HUGE hands to have felt comfortable with that setting. I was/am far more comfortable with the valve set up after I had the thumb ring removed altogether (cost $2.50 at my local repair shop). Considering the placement of the valve slides you'll find that the thumb ring really isn't necessary on the 2145.

I don't know what to tell you about the valve slides on the tuba. Frankly, I don't adjust the slides as I play. All of the notes on my 2145 are close enough to lip in tune. Again if there are solder blobs, uneven valve slides, etc. obstructing your horn, that could account for the pitch of your horn not being as close as the pitch on mine.

When you compare pictures of the 2145, 2155, and 2165, you will see that the EXACT same valve set is being used for all three models. Thus, the design would be equally as poor for your taste regardless of the model number.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Mark (I picked my 2145 over 3 different 4/4 Hirsbrunners considering playability alone) McMahon

Follow Ups: