Re: Re: MW 2145 and Mirafone 186

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on May 14, 2001 at 14:27:07:

In Reply to: Re: MW 2145 and Mirafone 186 posted by Mark McMahon on May 14, 2001 at 14:05:31:

While I do not own a MW2145, I have played a few, all have been pretty good, one VERY good. It has a sound output that is almost unmatched for horns similar in size, and is very open in the lower register. One thing that bothers me about the 21X5 horns besides the thumb ring is the leadpipe. If you can get someone to mimic the "york" style of entry (more of a softer angle off the horn, unlike the 90o angle to the body) than I feel it puts the horn at a more comfortable angle to hold on the right hand. This does require you to either hold the horn farther down on the left hand, or use a pad to hold the hand in place. With any other horns out there, you need to try several to get a better grasp of the model line in general. I think that Meinl Weston has done an excelent job of making a line of 4/4-6/4 piston horns that are good quality and playability for a good price. But, there are exceptions to the rule.
Matt G

Follow Ups: