Re: Role of EEb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Ridley on May 22, 2001 at 00:00:15:

In Reply to: Role of EEb posted by Rob Suttie on May 21, 2001 at 23:07:39:

One of the things I like about playing Eb in a brass band is that the role of the instrument changes. Sometimes it is used as a compliment to the contrabass voice, adding definition, clarity and volume. Sometimes it is used as a Euphonium would be used in a normal concert band orchestration, providing counter melody, or even melodic interest to the sound. As far as tone goes, I try to achieve a nice dark resonant sound as one would on any tuba, while keeping the character light, agile and unforced. Sometimes a tubist can get a little edge on the sound during loud passages. Eb players have to be even more careful about it because it will really stick out. Lots of people use the Eb tuba, Patrick Sheridan comes to mind, for all sorts of things. I know a lot of discussion has taken place on this board over the years about the best type of tuba (CC,BBb,Eb,F), but in my experience, it seems best to just find one that plays reasonably well in tune, gets the sound you want, and go for it. I play a Soveriegn too and the sound is great for all sorts of things. The valves are a disaster, but the tone is excellent. Anyway, I've probably stated enough of my opinion to get it questioned, so thats my 2 cents.

Brian Ridley
Principal Eb Tuba
The Roman Festival Brass
(Come see us in Danville, KY at the Great American Brass Band Festival)

Follow Ups: