Re: Role of EEb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on May 22, 2001 at 07:58:28:

In Reply to: Role of EEb posted by Rob Suttie on May 21, 2001 at 23:07:39:

I guess I'm odd man out in this thread. I learned BBb on a Conn sousy in high school, then played BBb in college and a (US)Army band. Laid off for 15 years, then had my old East German BBb repaired and played it in the local town band for a number of years until it just wore out. I have read this BBS and the Tubaeuph list for years, so I learned about the different pitch tubas online. When I was looking around for a new horn, I ran across a little Holton (made in France) 3pv upright, which I used to learn the fingering. Then I traded that on a Conn 26K 3pv Sousaphone, because I was doing several marching band gigs. Then, about a year and a half ago, I found a Mirafone 183-4U 4 rotary valve EEb, which was in outstanding condition, and quite a bit less expensive than a comparable BBb. I now use this Mirafone for everything. I play alone in a small town band -- about 25 players, and I can fit in and cover that part just fine. I also play in a larger wind ensemble --about 55 players -- at a local college. There we have two tubas: one is a Yamaha 4pv BBb (I think it is a 621). Between the two of us, we cover the parts pretty well. On occasion, though, I have had to soldier on alone when the BBb was out and I found myself hard pressed to do the job. Also, I have played in some Dixieland and brass quintet settings, and the Mirafone seems to do very well in those small group settings -- blends well, is nimble enough for the solo bits, and can make it down to FF OK, but not much below that. At least with my chops. Have never played in a British Brass Band, but I'm looking.

Follow Ups: