Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob on May 24, 2001 at 13:14:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js posted by Lew on May 24, 2001 at 11:54:32:

No, there were clearly front action 2XJ series horns. I don't think they were common. I first actually saw one at Tubachristmas in NYC two or three years ago: a guy had a 22J, the three valve, removable recording bell version.

Subsequently, there was a late 30's ('38?) Conn catalog on e-bay. The seller posted a few pages as a teaser, including one listing the 22J and 23J (3 valves, upright removable bell). I think the owner of Wichita Band Instruments won that auction.

I've never actually seen a 4 valve front action version, but they must have existed, as the valve set was clearly made (I did see a 24K sousaphone -- a 4 valve version of the 20K, that would be the same valve set).

There was an earlier, pre-2XJ series, recording bell long front action valve 26J horn. I have an illustration of that in a Conn 1931 or 2 brochure on 'New Wonder Basses and Sousaphones'. That 26J was a large bore horn with a 26" recording bell! (One of those went on e-bay a year or so ago). The brochure also listed (but did not illustrate) an 80J, smaller bore version of the 26J.

And, earlier, there were the 34/36J 'Grand Orchestral' basses (in BBb or CC) with upright bells and long action front pistons.

As an aside, I think the reason that the top action 2XJ series predominated over front action is primarily the result of the school market. A kid can reach the top action valves pretty easily, where it would be harder for smaller kids to reach around the front of a 2XJ horn to a front action valve set.

Follow Ups: