Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cast Member on May 25, 2001 at 21:51:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Disney BLAST!s out posted by Jay Bertolet on May 25, 2001 at 19:33:49:

I admit I have been here less than 10 years, but I have worked with and befriended many older musicians, and people in the upper echelons, and have talked to them about some of the points you make. I do hold you, Jay, in high regard because of the knowledge you have imparted on this BBS, but I will respond to your points here.

Your point 1-
I just can't believe there is some guy in a room somewhere saying, "Okay, Joe Blow is up for pension, let's get rid of him now!" (Evil laugh) In talking to some of the musicians that HAVE been here for a long time, they even say, that is a rumor that has been around a long time. I am sure some of the guys out there have been laid off just before, but it may have had something to do with their work ethic, or their lack of show presence. Remember that we are an entertainment company. Would you want to have a bad apple in a good show? I have talked to some managers, and some musicians, and some musicians who became managers, and they have all said by and large, it was never really a malicious thing. It was just that the group's time was up. The best argument to rebut your point is all the musicians who HAVE made it to retirement, or gotten vested, and that number is far greater than those who got axed "just before." Besides, the company is willing to work with you if you have that positive attitude, and get you a job doing something else, and you WOULD retire from the company that way. I have seen people do that and keep their benefits, and retire. Sure, they don't retire as musicians, but also, remember the structure of retirement plans has changed with the advent of the union over the years. Some people I have spoken with tell me that the time of 20 year groups here is gone. The world of entertainment changes too fast to have that kind of staying power. The union is in charge of the retirement plan now anyway, if I am not mistaken. Disney really gains nothing by firing "right before." About the only thing they would lose by that is the chance to get their silver Maingate pass.

Your point 2 -
I don't believe the post I made before stated the idea that "because Disney makes profits in one area and not another means it is okay to make unethical changes in their business policies." If that is what you interpreted, then I must have not have been clear. My intent was to explain that the if you are in A, then just because B makes a ton of money, doesn't mean A gets to use it. Is A effected by B? Sure, and vice versa. But you would be surprised how little communication there is between the people in charge of A, and the people in charge of B. I spoke at length with a manager today on that very point in researching my previous post.
As for making unethical changes...I can't say I agree with that. The groups we are talking about: The Tubafours, FutureCorps, and the others.. MOST of those groups got a good advance notice that their gigs were going to end. A month, sometimes more. They were given the opportunity to retool themselves, or change themselves to fit the (ugh...hate this phrase!) "New Concept" But in the end, it just didn't work. Sure, there have been times when it went down badly, but those times are few, compared to the times when the company did what they could for the groups, and gave good advance notice.

Your Point 3 -
I can't respond to a personal opinion like what you have said here. It is your opinion that the "great many wonderful people" number is "shrinking yearly." OK.
As for "the cultural landscape in Orlando," I don't know how that really has a whole lot of bearing on the practices of the company. The bigwigs aren't going to come down, and look at Orlando and say, "Eh, it is going down the tubes, so let's follow." I am sure they are not using Orlando as their benchmark. They are probably looking at big cities like LA, New York, Miami, or others to follow those trends.

"Let's be candid. Disney is using these school ensembles to be a cheap replacement for professional musicians."
I don't know when the last time you came to Disney was, but I will let you in on some things. The last round of lay-offs happened a month or so ago, and mostly effected Disney-MGM Studios. Those school groups you are talking about...they don't perform in that area of the Disney-MGM Studios. They never have. The only high school groups that perform at the Disney-MGM Studios are marching bands, and they didn't replace anyone. The area of the park where the group was laid-off from, is nowhere near the area where the marching bands perform. The other lay-offs...the show in front of the castle...those school groups you are talking about, don't perform there. Go back a year or so to the prior lay-offs...FutureCorps, none of those school groups perform where they did. Tubafours, none of our groups perform where they did. TWO other PROFESSIONAL groups replaced the World Band. The school groups you are talking about only perform in certain places, and have NOT replaced any of the pro groups that got laid off. I hope the above examples make that clear. But I still say, there are some great groups here that kids, and the general public can look to, to be good examples of great entertainment, and great musicianship. Do we have fewer groups? Oh yeah. Do I like it? no.

I don't know enough about the "Right to Work" statement to respond.

Again, I do consider the opinions you state on this BBS to be great when it comes to tuba, but here I have to take issue. Thanks for your comments.

Follow Ups: