Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on May 13, 2002 at 19:48:18:

In Reply to: Military Bands posted by Matt A. on May 13, 2002 at 18:48:22:

Sean got most of it, thought I'd add a few things...

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the various branches of the military bands?

You'll find that the Army tends to be the best as far as money goes. No Army bandsman is below E4, amd promotions in the Army come faster than any other branch. Army also tends to have the best enlistment bonuses, and sign-on benefits like college-loan repayment or GI bill. The other branches have some of these, but usually not to the extent that the Army has. Air Force tends to be more stable--you stay in one band longer, while the Army will move you around. Ohh, and if you are a euph player, be aware that Navy bands (maybe even marine bands) force you to double--in the Navy u must play trombone as well.

When are you made aware of your post? Is it before Basic Training, before the School of Music or after all of it?

This depends on the branch, I believe. The Air Force bands have auditions for openings only. So, you know what band you are going into prior to enlistment. In the Army, you audition first, go through basic and the AF School of Music, then you get your station assignment. BUT, depending on your situation, you may be able to secure a post before basic--but this is NOT IN WRITING. Meaning, yes, the Army has every right to send you wherever they want, but I do know they make verbal agreements at assignments on a per-case basis. This is not a guarantee by any means.... The Navy usually gives you some idea of where you will be going as well, especially if they are short with your instrument. I would NEVER join any marine band except for the premier band, so I know nothing about them...

Do you get any say in where you are posted after training and school?

Most of this was answered above... Mostly depends on the needs of the branch of service and your ability level...

Hope that helped out some!

Dean

Follow Ups: