Re: Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on May 14, 2002 at 10:49:55:

In Reply to: Re: Military Bands posted by Dean on May 13, 2002 at 19:48:18:

Hey, all.

I indeed was able to get my first Band Assignment IN WRITING in my contract! I believe that at that time (early 1992) the Army was offering some nice incentives for college grads, one of which was the "station of choice" option.

But DO get it in writing, my friend. While wrapping-up at the Armed Forces School of Music my drill Sergeant proudly handed me orders to someplace I didn't wanna go. I went over the DS's head (not recommended, but I had my papaerwork to cover me) with my contract, & got to go to Berlin as I had enlisted for.

Ask, Ask, Ask you recruiter! As recriters don't run into college grads and bandsmen everyday, they often are not up to speed on some of the special options available. I was lucky that my recruiter really cared, and even took the time to prepare for Basic after I signed the contract - took me running 4 times a week. It really helped.

Points to emphasize: Air Force bands are closest thing to a Professional Civilian gig. They play well, have good equipment, & aren't gung-ho about shootin' & killing. The Marine bands are the opposite - Shoot first, ask what key you're in later. Army Bands offer the greatest number of assignment & promotion opportunities & the most (good) overseas assignments.

What Sean said about bein' an officer is true. . . . But be aware you won't be playin' your horn if you do that. If you play the game well, you can still make a decent livin' (I can only speak here as ex-Army) as an enlisted player. As good or better wages and benefits than most giggin' civilians.

FWIW,
Mark "would've been halfway to a decent retirement by now if I stayed in" Mazak

Follow Ups: