Re: ALABAMA SYMPHONY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin on May 18, 2002 at 10:55:38:

In Reply to: ALABAMA SYMPHONY posted by Terri on May 17, 2002 at 22:40:44:

Does this really have anything to do with the tuba audition or this bbs? The fact is, there IS an audition that will be won by a great player, and the ASO is a good orchestra. I'm sure that the people who are auditioning are well aware that there is some potential problem with the job, and are prepared to deal with these problems if they do exist. I personally know all of the parties involved with this dispute(I've lived in Alabama for the last 3 years, and have heard the ASO many times), and I can say that I've heard about 20 different versions of what happened. I do know that there are several things certainly not true or not wholly true in your version: 1. I don't know when the bass trombonist was making it into the semifinals of major auditions, but I'm sure it hasn't been for a long time. Not to say that he is a bad player, but to say that he's competitive on the national audition scene is certainly not true. 2. Westerfield has made that group sound VERY good. You say he's an insecure jerk--I'm pretty sure that he's not the first conductor to have these qualities! The names that we regard in history as greats: Toscannini, Klemperer, and others have all been MUCH worse than Westerfield. 3. This thing about the union president/brass quintet business: very questionable, though I'm not denying that you may have heard it from a reliable source. All 20 or so versions I've heard have come from various "reliable sources" or "straight from the horse's mouth." Even if you did hear it directly from one of the persons involved, I don't think that it would be reliable condsidering the amount of resentment and personal emotion held by all parties. Personally, I'm sick of all this drama, which by the way is pointless. But just for fun, here's my version:

The bass trombonist was fired because he discovered that Westerfield is actually the head of the southern mafia crime syndicate. Westerfield hired hitmen to take care of the bass trombonist. So it turns out that the bass trombonist didn't resign or get fired, he's actually at the bottom of lake Lurleen in Northport, Alabama wearing a pair of cement shoes. As a result, the FBI set up a sting operation to catch Westerfield by placing several undercover agents in the viola section(they couldn't play the viola, but hey, who's gonna notice anyway). While trying to dig up dirt on Westerfield, they secretly discovered that the Tuba player is actually an alien, and is in league with an evil intergalactic trade federation in a plan to take over the union and turn the brass section to the dark side. As we speak, the local union army(made up of clones, based on the dna of the former bass trombonist) is engaged in a war with the separatists, consisting of an elaborate robot army built by the Tuba player and led by Westerfield, who now calls himself Darth Conductus. This is all I know, apparently the conclusion will be released in theaters in 2005.

Peace,
Martin

p.s. I got this straight from the horses's mouth

Follow Ups: