Re: 20J induced backache

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on May 22, 2002 at 19:39:45:

In Reply to: 20J induced backache posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2002 at 13:00:44:

Rick-
I have to admire your courage (or something). I played these monsters for years in school and grew to dislike them a lot. Yes, they are difficult to hold. Yes, they have their intonation issues (but then, which tuba doesn't?). Yes, they are generally awkward and like to slide off of chairs, and yes, I sometimes think that they were all originally manufactured with lots of dents (I've seen very few without lots of dents). God help you if you fail to keep the slides and valves well lubricated. The notes really do require quite a bit of "steering". It is amusing to me that the 20J seems to be making a comeback in popularity.
Having bashed the 20J, I do have to say that I have heard some excellent performances by tuba players on the 20J. I was never able to progress far with them, and I've seen plenty of other tuba players frustrated with them, so that may be the source of my prejudices. Experience is a great teacher, but it also can cloud our objectivity.
Please keep us posted on your ongoing trials. Anyone want to take bets on when Rick quits flirting with the 20J and go back to his true love, the York Master?
Good Luck,
Rex (PS, perhaps it is just perversity that I like my 20K Sousy!)

Follow Ups: