20J induced backache

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2002 at 13:00:44:

Our spring concert is behind us now, and it's outdoor concert time for the Loudoun Symphonic Winds. So, just for the sheer fun of it I took the 20J to rehearsal last night. I didn't have a Conn tuning bit handy, so I borrowed one for the evening (made by Jupiter, I think) from one of the sousaphones hanging on the wall at the high school where we rehearse. It had a shallow bend, probably between the almost-straight Conn bit and the sharper King bit.

Where do you 2xJ players put your left hand? With a bit in place, I can't reach any of the tuning slides, which is where I usually park my left hand on a top-action tuba. If I stretch to reach the first-valve branch, I end up pulling the horn into my face too much. I ended up hanging my left hand on the leadpipe, which stands off the bell by an inch or so, just to keep the horn from twisting away off to the right. I also ended up grabbing the first valve casing with my thumb to control that twisting, which gave my right arm more work than I wanted it to have. All this caused me to be twisted in a way that put undue pressure on one, um, cheek. Most uncomfortable. And finding a place to set down a recording-bell tuba is no mean feat, not to mention that it will rest on the mouthpiece with the tuning bit in place. Laying down on the floor, it consumes about two acres.

I use a K&M stand (my DEG stand seems a little light for this beastie). The official catalog pictures show the instrument in a Wenger Tuba Tamer, positioned vertically next to the player. That is, of course, an unacceptable option unless the band assigns a roadie to assist me. The ergonomics are not enhanced by my strong right-eye preference, which motivates me more than ever to proceed with a front-action conversion if I can do it reasonably.

So, I'd like to hear from you 2xJ players. How do you set up the instrument for play? Where do you hang your left hand? How much do you lean the instrument over? Do you use a rest, and if you don't, how do you hold it? There was a thread a while back where the fellow solved his ergonomic problems with the recommended tuning bit, but that didn't do it for me, though I now have geniune Conn bits to try.

By the way, I felt like I was fighting the instrument a bit, which I completely attribute to not being used to it. The comments from the conductor (not our usual stick-waver), and several qualified listeners were favorable: No reported egregiously out-of-tune notes, and a good sound. It sure has a resonant sound from my position, and it speaks easily though it requires some steering to control pitch.

Rick "with a sore back" Denney

Follow Ups: