Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tuba ed on May 03, 2003 at 11:57:04:

In Reply to: too many ? posted by js on May 03, 2003 at 01:12:11:

You have touched on an important subject that is a current issue throughout education and especially music education, Lateral-Entry. For those who do not know, Lateral-Entry basically means that a "professional" from that particular field (such as music) without an education degree/license is hired to teach. However, they do have to hold a degree (performance, music industry, etc.) in that particular field and eventually must take some additional courses. For example, a member of the local orchestra with some sort of performance degree comes to a school to teach the middle school string program, etc. Is it good or bad? I don't know, time will tell. Maybe an "adjunct" instructor is a good idea for some instances, but I do not believe for all situations. I do not believe the best performer is always the best educator. However, I don't believe a poor performer can provide the best education.

Don't forget that education is a business like anything else. It becomes an issue of who is (or looks to be on paper) the MOST qualified person for the job. I believe that there are enough people that have earned advanced degrees in the job market that can teach at, near or above the level of a person without a degree that a degree can make a difference in who is hired by a university. I believe experience can have this effect as well. However, the best scenario is experience and advanced education. "Are there too many full-time tuba professors?" That's a demand and supply issue. Should collegiate tuba instruction be delegated only to adjunct professors? That issue depends entirely on the university and what the administrators require of the studio professor.

Well that's enough for now.

Tuba "I think therefore I drink" Ed

Follow Ups: