Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by yes, un-popular on May 04, 2003 at 21:45:51:

In Reply to: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by unpopular opinion on May 04, 2003 at 19:56:10:

While I appreciate your right to have this view, I can't say that I agree with it. I don't think that the govt should subsidize arts, but what is so wrong with it if they do? It is a proven fact that the arts define our culture and advancements as a civilization. I would rather spend my tax money on orchestras than on bombs and foreign aid. When an orchestra folds, it affects more than just the musicians. there are hundreds of people that gain employment for orchestras...like the office staffs, ticket people, stage people, janitors etc. How about resturants that get the dinner and a concert traffic? How about tourism and hotels?

It so easy to say that orchestras need to change their jobs to be self sufficient financially. The fact is, all the pops in the world could not make ticket sales jump to a point where orchestras will be solvent. Donations need to be made, and they need to continue to be made. And that is OK.

The greater problem is EDUCATION. I do think that orchestras need to make sure they are doing everything they can to get younger generations interested in classical music. not only will it enrich their lives, but it will prolong our livlihoods. Declining audiences are a result of idiotic pop culture, lazy cultural education and short attention spans developed because of microwaves and high speed internet(among other things).

I don't have all of the answers, but I can not really see this society being great if our cultural arts go away. Orchestras, Opera, Ballet, Museums...etc. I think it is worth our money, donations, taxes, whatever. Dont bail out the airlines, bail out the orchestras.

Follow Ups: