Re: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by unpopular opinion on May 04, 2003 at 23:04:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Saving Orchestras posted by yes, un-popular on May 04, 2003 at 21:45:51:

We can agree to disagree. That's perfectly ok in my book.

I don't really see any problem with the government subsidizing the arts. I really don't care if they do or not, but i'd rather see my tax money fund things that affect more people (such as public defense, health care, cancer research, law enforcement, public schools). Nor do I have a problem with donations, I just feel that you can't DEPEND on donations.

I do think that you have sorta touched on something... Education.

Very young people do get exposed to classical music via

cartoons.

Movie soundtracks too (but these came later for me).

I recall liking the music that accompanied some of my favorite cartoons when I was very little. Then when I became a band kid in junior high, I had an even greater appreciation for the classical music that was performed behind those cartoons, an appreciation that had me seeking out live performances.

I think one difference between me and Joe Average is I make a connection between the music that I hear behind the cartoons and the movies. Joe Average may think the music behind his movie is nice and stop thinking right there. Movies and cartoons are big pieces of pop culture which utilize classical music. Capitalizing on those in the form of some sort of hybrid concert not only will have more mass appeal, it will expand your customer base for the more serious events.

Just for the record, this is not 100% my idea. I actually remember Rick Denney saying that an orchestra in Texas did something similar to what i am describing above.

Follow Ups: