Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 05, 2003 at 21:31:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business posted by Taxes for the Arts on May 05, 2003 at 19:57:43:

You know, I knew a musician once that was a pothead. I figure all musicians must be potheads.

Does that sound fair? Then why is it fair to paint wealthy folk (DEFINITELY not me, especially these days!) with such a broad brush? There are plenty of Enron types (who are in JAIL -- what a corrupt system we have, huh?) in corporate America, but there are quite a few Sam Waltons as well. Many of them built their fortunes from little or nothing, and they continue to place their wealth at risk every day. For greed? Partly. Also because they have a drive to make something happen, to see prosperity created. Thank goodness! Which large corporation would YOU pick to be out of business, with their employees on the street? Followed by other people whose livelihoods rely on their spending?

Besides, if we WERE to follow your line of reasoning, then we should conclude that orchestras, which are supported by filthy lucre, should be shunned. The fact is that giving to the arts bears no relationship to a person's personal virtue.

So what was your point again?

Joe Baker, who is amazed that businesspeople, who create wealth, get hate while the government, which steals wealth, gets love.

Follow Ups: