Re: F tuba research

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 08, 2003 at 20:32:00:

In Reply to: F tuba research posted by Mike Roylance on May 08, 2003 at 13:51:50:

This isn't scholarly and won't contribute to your paper, but what I saw in the 1970's was:

Increased marketing of European tubas to U.S. consumers, including advertising more "not-particularly-U.S." type of stuff to see if it would sell here.

More tuba players with more disposable income (particularly with the expansion of colleges and universities hiring tuba players to teach tuba students) considered these for purchase as "solo" or "quintet" instruments...' still not too many Americans who thought much of playing them very much in orchestras, as not very many were comfortable with them.

With some U.S. consumers purchasing F tubas and offering feedback to the vendors and manufacturers, European makers reacted (though slowly) by offering easier-to-play models. Predictably, some not-so-improved models emerged as well (not-so-successful experiments, bad advice taken, etc.).

Eventually (particularly as the U.S. economy expanded though the 1980's) students grew more interested in F tubas, as they encountered them in their teachers' studios and the students' parents' incomes grew to a point that more students ended up with the resources to consider them for purchase.

??

YES, I'll copy all of those tracks to a c.d. for you. Please send me your mailing address (again).

Follow Ups: