Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on May 09, 2003 at 13:33:36:

In Reply to: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by Gus Pratt on May 07, 2003 at 21:44:21:

I can only speak to the Conn. I have a 20J, with both bells (took awhile to find the upright). I play in a 40 piece community concert band, which also has smaller units including a dance band, dixie, and Christmas Carol unit.

Until a few weeks ago I was the only tuba. We have a euph player converting at present.

Anyway, my conductor wants the bell front outside, and also for certain work inside where the stage has partial curtains in the overhead, etc. Otherwise he seems to prefer the upright.

For the dixie I used the bell front until I got the upright. The dixie bunch doesn't seem to have a preference.

I played both bell front and upright on a 20J in college 40 years ago. The bell front certainly has advantages outside. The upright seems to me to be a bit easier to push without cracking tones. But, with small groups and at moderate volume levels the bell front seems to me to have a slightly bigger rounder tone. Why, I have no guess.

Follow Ups: