Re: AFM Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by No Longer Union on May 09, 2003 at 16:32:28:

In Reply to: AFM Question posted by Matt A on May 09, 2003 at 10:21:47:

I am by no means anti-union, but the union has little to offer in right to work states. I joined in Reno, Nevada at a time that the union actually was getting me gigs. I soon noticed that I would often be working alongside non-union musicians who were not having to pay a percentage of their salary back to the union. In the long run, I noticed that the occasional gig that I got through the union just wasn't worth it. The strength and bargaining power of the union happens when all (or at least most) of the professionals are members. With enough non-union musicians supplying the community with music, the purpose and power of the union is questionable. I guess the unions will only become important in right-to-work states when working musicians find their vocation isn't paying the bills. And then, only when they are willing to stick together.

I personally don't see this happening soon because there are so many part-time amateur musicians that perform well enough and at a lower cost to the people hiring.

Unions are like the police, never welcome until your life (or livelyhood) is at stake.

-Doug Whitten

Follow Ups: