Re: Re: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian C on May 11, 2003 at 13:28:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2003 at 10:41:18:

I believe I said that they should have fought it in court, then sued the student for legal fees. Bottom-line, someone didn't like the instructor and it probably wasn't just the disgruntled student, that or they wanted to trim the budget.

We all know of doctors who will give you a prescription without a proper diagnosis. At my university, the student newspaper reported how the university medical center would prescribe Ritalin at the drop of a hat. If the student spun it that way, (that the instructor suggested seeing such a doctor), the school should be concerned. Y'know, it's at-will employment, gotta love it! (To use the Texas example, at-will employment can be great when dealing with non-compete covenants and trade secrets.)

Yes, Rick, unless your boss is a physician, he or she might not want to suggest that you see the doctor about getting brand X for condition Y. Such a suggestion is innocent, (without the intent to cause harm), but the lack of intent appears to be no longer sufficient to shield one from litigation or even prosecution. I don't like it, but in some cases it is justified. Also, the analogy in your counterexample is very weak. The only relevant similarity is that both conditions are treated by a medical professional. A bone sticking out of your arm is not the same thing as a mental condition such as performance anxiety.

Follow Ups: