Re: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 11, 2003 at 10:41:18:

In Reply to: Re: another college instructor back-stabbed posted by Brian C on May 10, 2003 at 18:54:18:

Why would it be a transgression to suggest a student see a doctor about obtaining Indural?

If the instructor gave the student a pill--that's one thing. That's a no-no, period. It is a controlled substance.

But what if I have persistent, um, "distress of the lower tract" (as I have had this week)? Is my boss at work behaving inappropriately if he suggests I see a doctor about getting a prescription for Lomotil? Perhaps I should consult my lawer, heh, heh.

If the doctor thinks it's a bad idea, the doctor will refuse. It is the doctor's call, not the professor's, and nothing the professor reportedly said over-rode the doctor's authority in the matter.

"My goodness, Mr. Fryburger, you have a bone sticking out of your arm. That must hurt. I'm not going to recommend that you see a doctor for treatment and a pain killer, because if I do you might sue me."

If things happened as reported (which is seldom the case), then it is an example of how some universities have turned themselves completely upside down as a result of litigation fear. Perhaps they should hire themselves a better lawyer, call the student's bluff, and fight them in court. They might win a few cases. When I lived in Texas, this was the policy of the Texas Department of Transportation when they were sued for tort liability. If they determined they were wrong, they settled immediately. If they thought they were right, they fought every case all the way to conclusion. The ambulance chasers preferred, therefore, to target city agencies who were much more likely to roll over.

Also, if things happened as reported, perhaps the professor should consider consulting a sharp lawyer. Her career might be at stake.

Rick "expecting another lesson in over-reacting from concerned musicians" Denney

Follow Ups: