Re: Plateless Valves? Also....Besson H?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on May 13, 2003 at 20:49:58:

In Reply to: Plateless Valves? Also....Besson H? posted by Steven on May 13, 2003 at 19:53:57:

I have a de Prins 3+2 Saxhorn baryton en Si bemol, where the pistons are not plated. At the top end of the pistons there are bottleneck style recession, which also are bare brass. This to me suggests, that the pistons were never plated. I am not convinced, that this is a sign of quality comparable to modern monel and steel pistons, but it works.

Besson 2-20 was a second line of instruments comparable to the Westminster line. Intonationwise these old Brits often are questionable, but otherwise they often have proven themselves reliable workhorses trough ages and ages.

The official pictchdesignation as of 1967 was H. P. and L. P. respectively. Highpitch woodwinds are useless in the standa
After the pitchreform of 1970, where the British makers (please read B%&H/Besson) refused to make more high pitch instruments, the Brit brass band journal was swamped with advertisements singing the refrain of: Your whole band converted from high to low pitch in a week!

Quite a bit of literature and photos on the Besson/B&H topic can be found via the index located at the top of the page linked to below here. If you don't want to join the Yahoo groups in question, then you can log in with the Yahoo identity = brassphotos03 and the password = public

Klaus

Follow Ups: