Trigger Finger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Rosenau on May 13, 2003 at 23:51:52:

Medical Stuff: I've recently come down with an annoying type of tendonitis called "trigger finger" in my right thumb, most likely from all the years of sticking it into the thumb ring on my horn. Basically, my thumb does not want to bend, and when it does, it locks in the bent position (ouch!). I using NSAIDS for now. Further treatment might be steroid injections or hand surgery if needed. Fortunately, in the thumb it's an irritation, because if it had occurred in a finger it would have been a real problem. I think that because tubas are "heavymetal" that this is something that more than one of us might experience. I don't think that the way one holds your horn will make much difference. I think that because the thumb is the anchor that holds your hand in position while you use your fingers to operate the valves, and tuba valves with their bigger springs present more resistance than other horns, that as we age, and I HAVE aged, tuba players may be more susceptible to this condition than other brass players. I have no suggestions as how to prevent this condition. Medical Science isn't even sure what causes it. So this is more a "heads up" than anything. Sure is a pain in the ......thumb!
I've posted a link about this. If the link doesn't work just do a Google search for more info.

Follow Ups: