Re: Re: Re: Amateurs and ITEA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wrong approach on May 21, 2003 at 18:06:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Amateurs and ITEA posted by Bart Collins on May 21, 2003 at 12:48:53:

How do you know it's the wrong approach? Yes, some organizations change slowly. However, some can and do change quickly and successfully. If ITEA wants to remain and appeal basically to pros that's fine, but they will always be a small organization and in the greater scheme of things won't have much impact on the image of the tuba amongst the public in all probability. The public will accept the tuba more readily when the quality of the players in the local groups they are most likely to hear goes up. Rarely is the best muscian in a community band, HS or college group the tuba player. In sports, you're only as good as your worst player typically and lets face it there are a lot of really bad tuba players out there. ITEA ought to spend some time figureing out how to improve the players that the public is mostly like to have contact with. The public doesn't hear Gene Pokorny, but they do hear the guy in the local community band. I think ITEA ought to work on a lot of fronts including amateur players, but in my opinion, they still pay mainly lip service to this. As far as not listing my name, the beauty of this forum is it offers folks the chance to express views they may have, but due to professional or other considerations would not express those opinions if forced to identify themselves. I

Follow Ups: