Re: Switch to Eb, or keep fighting with F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on November 05, 1999 at 23:53:29:

In Reply to: Switch to Eb, or keep fighting with F posted by Brad on November 05, 1999 at 12:35:43:

I wouldn't worry too much about what key the tuba you play is in, just make sure you can do all the things with it that you want. I went through the same decision when I was a sophomore in college and the F tuba never felt right for me, then or now. I had the same reservations you stated for just about every F tuba I ever tried. I tried some Eb tubas and they fit me like a glove so that's what I use. I also wouldn't worry about a lack of quality in Eb tubas, as another posted suggested. I personally think that the quality of Eb tubas is equal to that of F tubas or any others. My Willson Eb is a marvelous, well made tuba. I actually own two Eb tubas and they easily cover all of the literature that I could cover with any combination of F tubas and actually offer some options not available on any F tuba.

Do like you would with any horn purchase. Go and try out several of the makes and models and see what, if anything, seems to work for you. And please, don't pay any attention to what other players are using. If you go around thinking that unless you play a certain tuba or combination of tubas you won't be successful, you might as well pack it up and quit now. Maybe that is part of what makes a great player, is wading through the sea of choices and finding just the right combination of equipment for you...

Follow Ups: