Re: Switch to Eb, or keep fighting with F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on November 07, 1999 at 01:41:09:

In Reply to: Switch to Eb, or keep fighting with F posted by Brad on November 05, 1999 at 12:35:43:

I think this has been one of the most fascinating postings, and debates I've read on the Tuba Net thus far. Personally, I'm glad to see "eefers" becoming a bit more popular in the USA. I think most of them do have a very nice sound, and a decent low end. There's little doubt that an F tuba wouldn't provide more security in the really high stuff. Perhaps Brad may be able to hang on to his M-W F tuba for such pieces (Bydlo; Berlioz: Romeo & Juliet). I think the idea that Brad is too young to tackle this question is both patronizing and absurd. Besides, many people actually tackle the two excerpts I mentioned above on a euphonium. Before anybody gets too excited by that idea, consider the instruments those parts were originally written for. Anyway, perhaps another solution, if Brad were to choose Eb, would be investing in the Doug Elliot m.p. system. That way, he could use a reletively shallow cup/small throat for the really, really high pieces without changing the rim in any way. But I still think a big consideration is what instrument one is comfortable with for quintet playing. If Brad already owns a smallish CC, then perhaps an Eb would be rather redundant. What would be interesting to know is what Brad's teacher thinks of all this. I get the impression that he/she has not pushed him into making a quick decision, and for that, he/she is to be commended.

Follow Ups: